Sunday, May 24, 2009

Happy Memorial Day!!!

As we conservatives continue to show our displeasure at how this country is being run at the moment, I want to ask one simple thing for today. Just for today, throw politics out the window. Whether you are a democrat, republican, libertarian or the Ralph Nader party, there's one thing we can all celebrate and respect--together. 

Just today, don't hurl an insult or joke President Obama's way.

Just today, forget trying to beat the "bad guys" and let's come together and remember this: we are all the good guys. We are all Americans. Walking through Arlington National Cemetery, it's hard not to get emotional. I can't help thinking to myself, "These guys didn't die for republicans. They didn't die for the democrats. They died for all of us." 

This post is dedicated to every soldier that has ever died in battle. No matter his religion, political affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, size or skin color, this is to them. I hope today isn't just another day. There are 365 days on the calender, and this is one of the more special of them. There aren't many more that are more important to me or this country, and you can no doubt count them on one hand. Soldiers, especially the ones who gave it all, don't get near the credit they deserve. Freedom isn't free, folks. 

Make today special. There are always little things you can do. Pick specific times out of today to just sit for a moment and count your blessings and think about how lucky you are. Maybe it's a little prayer, or a thought, or action. Whatever it is, make today count. It only comes once a year. (thanking a veteran never hurts either!) 

Today, at 3 PM, local time, there will be a National Moment of Remembrance. I urge all of you, ALL of you, to observe this moment with respect. On this day, for me at least, there will be no room in my brain for political affiliations, or even general hate for that matter. Today, my thoughts are with victims, and the families of those victims. Today, my prayers are with President Obama, as he is confronted every day to make difficult decisions, such as sending our troops into harms way, that could forever change memorial day for some families. Today, I hope to remember just how lucky I am. Since other soldiers have given their lives for me, I'm going to live mine to be the best person I can be, and to make a difference. My only question: will you join me?

I'll leave you with this quote, from Toby Keith's (I don't even like country music!) American Soldier. Although I've never much been a fan of country, I've always loved the patriotic songs it churns out. I truly hope you enjoy and show some decency and kindness out of respect for all of those who fought, and died, in the line of battle. HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!

Toby Keith's American Soldier

I'm just trying to be a father,
Raise a daughter and a son,
Be a lover to their mother,
Everything to everyone.
Up and at 'em bright and early,
I'm all business in my suit,
Yeah, I'm dressed up for success from my head down to my boots,

I don't do it for the money, there's bills that I can't pay,
I don't do it for the glory, I just do it anyway,
Providing for our future's my responsibility,
Yeah I'm real good under pressure, being all that I can be,
And I can't call in sick on Mondays when the weekend's been too strong,
I just work straight through the holidays,
And sometimes all night long.

You can bet that I stand ready when the wolf growls at the door,
Hey, I'm solid, hey I'm steady, hey I'm true down to the core,
And I will always do my duty, no matter what the price,
I've counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice,
Oh, and I don't want to die for you,
But if dying's asked of me,
I'll bear that cross with honor,
'Cause freedom don't come free.

I'm an American soldier, an American,
Beside my brothers and my sisters I will proudly take a stand,
When liberty's in jeopardy I will always do what's right,
I'm out here on the front lines, sleep in peace tonight.
American soldier, I'm an American,

An American,

An American Soldier

No comments:

Post a Comment